Social Protection Inter-Agency Cooperation Board
James Canonge , Griet Cattaert , olivier Louis dit Guérin
The Social Protection Inter-Agency Cooperation Board is a light, lean and agile interagency coordination mechanism - composed of representatives of international organizations and bilateral institutions - to enhance global coordination and advocacy on social protection issues and to coordinate international cooperation in country demand-driven actions.
The establishment of the Board responds to to the request of the G20 Development Working Group.
The first Social Protection Inter-Agency Cooperation Board meeting took place on 2 and 3 July 2012 in New York at the UN headquarters, the second SPIAC-B meeting was held on 29 October 2012 in Hyderabad, India. A third SPIAC-B meeting will be held on Monday 11 February in New York concurrent with the Commission for Social Development.
Focal points of the participating international organizations and bilateral institutions
- A video conference was organized on Tuesday 20 November with Mr. Olivier De Schutter (Special Rapporteur on the right to food) to explain the idea of a Global Fund for Social Protection - Summary.
Social Protection Inter-Agency Cooperation Board and the Social Protection Floor Initiative: how are they related?
Social Protection strategies of international organizations - recent developments
- The World Bank’s Strategy and Social Protection Systems
- UNICEF Social Protection Framework
- ILO Social Security Strategy
- Outcome - Possible activities of the Social Protection Interagency Board:
Show and Tell - Presentations:
- EU DEVCO
- ILO’s presentation on the actuarial, social budget, expenditure review and impact assessment tools
- Presentation World Bank: SPARC(S)-ing the Agenda on Social Protection Systems
- Inter-agency collaboration at the country level
- Inventory of ongoing and planned country cooperation activities as a basis for both information-sharing and signaling on cooperation. SPIAC-B members are invited to send the secretariat updated information on partnerships at the country level.
- Knowledge sharing and Capacity building
- Inventory of ongoing/planned capacity building activities as a basis for both information-sharing and identifying possibilities for joint activities: World Bank courses 2013, ILO courses 2013
- Post 2015 Information
- Post 2015 UN Development Agenda - Matrix: secretariat-driven and the government-driven processess
- Social protection: A development priority in the post-2015 UN developmentagenda - Thematic Think Piece
The next SPIAC-B meeting will be held on Monday 11 February in New York concurrent with the Commission for Social Development. The focus of the next meeting will be on advocacy, including “social protection advocacy in the context of the deliberations on the Post-2015 development agenda” and on the progress of joint work at the country level. Another topic on the agenda will be cooperation in the field of social protection statistics (standardization of the terminology and classifications used, harmonization of the data collection efforts and different databases and supporting countries to enhance their capacity in producing reliable social protection data and establishing national social protection statistical systems)