ONE UN Joint Programme on Social Protection in Mozambique
MOZ/17/04/CEF Africa Mozambique Sweden UNICEF Finland Netherlands United Kingdom MOZ106 In progress This project is part of the Global Flagship Programme on Building Social Protection Floors for All
Over the past decade, Mozambique’s social protection system was consolidated with the National Basic Social Security Strategy 2010-2014. Nevertheless, despite numerous improvements the sector has remained fragmented and coverage levels are still low. The new National Basic Social Security Strategy, or ENSSB II, covering the period 2016-2024, endorsed by the Council of Ministers in February 2016, provides a unique opportunity to address this fragmentation and better align those involved to deliver an ambitious set of targets.
It has four key objectives:
- Enhance the level of consumption and resilience of the population living in situations of poverty and vulnerability;
- Contribute towards the development of human capital through improvement of nutrition, access to basic health and education services of the population segments living in poverty and vulnerability;
- Prevent and mitigate the risks of violence, abuse, exploitation, discrimination and social exclusion through social services, and
- Develop the institutional capacity of the government sectors that coordinate basic social security.
The United Nations Joint Programme on Social Protection aims at supporting the Ministry of Gender, Child and Social Action (MGCAS) and its implementing arm of social assistance, the National Institute of Social Action, in the implementation of the action areas of ENSSB II towards increased coverage and greater efficiency and effectiveness of the basic social security subsystem in Mozambique.
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Reduce inequality within and among countries
Timeline of linked projects
- ILO Mozambique supports TRANSFORM training on social protection for Ministry of Economy and Finance
- COVID-19 and my disability won’t stop my search for work
- Linda (Short documentary)
- Social Protection Week: 10th edition of Mozambique’s Social Protection Week kicks-off with ILO support
- Second MOZMOD technical retreat in Mozambique organised with ILO's support
- National Institute of Social Action convenes second National Planning Meeting with ILO support
- Civil society platform organizes training on social protection for members of political parties and journalists with ILO’ support