VIet Nam Unemployment insurance
Among the ASEAN countries, Viet Nam is the second one to introduce UN benefits following Thailand in 2005. The unemployment insurance scheme was established in January 2009, and after one year of contribution collection, the payment of unemployment benefits started on 1 January 2010. The UI fund is based on contributions paid by employers, workers and the government. The design of the scheme was done in a very pragmatic way which allowed for a rapid implementation of the scheme. However, although the implementation of the scheme has been successful so far, the scheme faces several design and implementation issues that the ASEAN UI project is intending to solve.
In August 2011, a deep review and evaluation of the scheme was carried out. Fourteen recommendations were presented and endorsed by the stakeholders. Since then, the ASEAN UI Project has provided technical assistance to ensure effective application of these recommendations (e.g. legal revision, institutional and operational adjustments, staff training, information campaigns, etc.).
The Project is also supporting with advisory services the drafting of the new Employment Promotion Law which proposes to include one Chapter on unemployment insurance.
- Consultation workshop on the Proposed Employment Insurance Chapter, under draft Employment Law in Viet Nam, 15 June 2012, Hai Phong City (BOE presentation; ILO comments)
- Workshop for the revision of Circular #32, 11 December 2012, Ha Long
- VGCL and VCCI Awareness raising workshop on UI policies and proposed amendments to UI laws, April & March 2013
- Meeting with the Committee of Social Affairs of the National Assembly, 5 August 2013, Hanoi
- Meeting with the Committee of Social Affairs of the National Assembly, 19 August 2013, Hanoi
In parallel, the government is requesting ILO’s support to reinforce employability and re-employment programs for the unemployed and vulnerable workers in Viet Nam.
- Consultative meeting to share the results of the KPIs testing, Hanoi, 16 December 2013
- Training on emmployment counselling for unemployed people, Binh Duong, 12-13 November 2013
- National workshop to discuss key performance indicators for the UI scheme in Viet Nam, 20 August 2013
- Information, Education and Communication (IEC) event on “Unemployment Insurance” policies and procedures, Hanoi, Viet Nam, 24 October 2012
- Workshop on the role of employment services to facilitate the return to work of the unemployed, Thai Nguyen, Viet Nam, 3-4 October 2012
Click here for more informaion.
National Consultation Workshop on the proposed Employment Insurance Chapter of the draft Employment Law, Haiphong, 15 June 2012
Click here ILO's presentation.
Validation Workshop of the 18 Months' Review of UI Scheme and on the Chapter of Employment Insurance under Employment Law, Hanoi, Viet Nam, 19 October 2011
Click here for more information.
National Consultation Workshop on 18-Months Implementation Review of Unemployment Insurance Scheme in Viet Nam, Hoa Binh city, Viet Nam, 18 August 2011
¿Click here for more information.