GDP per capita: 779.80 USD/2013
GNI per capita, Atlas method: 7.78
Poverty headcount at national poverty lines (% of population): 60.5%
Annual Ave. Inflation rate: 7.78
Total Fertility Rate: 5.3
Life Expectancy (at birth): 53 Years
Infant Mortality: 45/1000 live births
Maternal Mortality Ratio: 398
Source: Central Statistical Office, Ministry of Finance and World Bank
SOCIAL PROTECTION MILESTONES IN ZAMBIA
- The Government of Republic of Zambia, GRZ, shows commitment on scaling up the social cash transfer programme through an 800 per cent increase in the 2014 budget.
- The coverage from the Social Cash Transfers, SCT, stands at a caseload of 145’698 as at the end of 2014. As at December 2014 the caseload was broken down as 45,705 males, 73,843 females, 7647 disabled males and 9135 disabled females.
- Government disburses bimonthly cash transfers of K280.00 to beneficiary households with members with disability and K140.00 for those without members living with disabilities.
- The Medium Term Expenditure Framework (MTEF) indicates a continued annual allocation of ZMW150m for the SCT programme for the next three years.
- Launch of National Social Protection Policy in December, 2014.
- Zambia has undertaken capacity building and awareness raising with the civil society organizations (namely the Social Protection Civil Society Platform), a core number of senior officials from the Ministry of Health, Ministry of Labour and Social Security, National Pension Authority (NAPSA), Employers Federation, Unions and health care providers.
- Following technical dialogue with the Planning Department of Ministry Community Development Mother and Child Health, the Social Protection Floor Assessment Based National Dialogue methodology was adopted as the basis for the development of an Integrated Framework for Social Protection Programs.